Why is it still okay to discriminate against, bully, harass and even murder gay people?
For the 20 billionth time, people, our sexuality is not a choice we make simply to piss the rest of you off. We don’t want to destroy your bogus “sanctity of marriage.” You manage to do that all on your own. We have no intention of raping you in the barracks if we serve in the military. (although what heterosexual male soldiers do to the female troops is another matter that you’d rather keep your heads up your asses about) We are not pedophiles, although you try to lump us in with the priests who molest young boys.
In the past few weeks, five young boys have committed suicide because they were harassed or bullied about their sexual orientation or their perceived sexual orientation. What will happen to the bullies? Absolutely nothing. Just as nothing has happened to them in the past. Gay suicide is nothing new. I was just hoping by now we’d see an end to gay self-loathing and self destruction.
But how can we? The messages sent by our government, our churches, our families are those downright hatred.
1. The Westboro Baptist Church leads an entire “ministry” on displaying signs that say “God Hates Fags.” Most people know that these people are crazier than shit house rats, but to a young person coming out, these messages are powerful.
2. In spite of most other civilized (and some not so civilized) countries allow gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military, the “free” country of the United States continues to discriminate and even punish gay and lesbian people who want to serve in the military.
3. The freedom to marry in California was overturned thanks to the diligence of the Mormons who feel it is all right to discriminate against gays/lesbians.
4. The GOP in Montana recently proposed making homosexuality illegal in their state. (What, pray tell, is the punishment?) Perhaps, like Iran, they would consider hanging gay people?
5. Rap idol, Curtis James Jackson, III, AKA 50Cent (he’s not worth even that much) broadcasts on his Twitter account that gay men should kill themselves and that “Perez Hilton calld me a douchebag so I had my homie shoot up a gay wedding. wasnt his but still made me feel better” News for you, Curtis James Jackson III, Perez Hilton was being kind to you by only calling you a douchebag.
Is there any question as to why bullying of gay kids is tolerated? We send messages to these kids that gay people are bad and deserve to die. Or, in the very least, they don’t deserve to have the same quality of life that heterosexual people do.
Young lives recently lost because we, as a nation, continue to send the message that being gay and lesbian is something terrible. Grow up, America.
Sept 23 Thirteen year old Asher Brown of Texas shot and killed himself with his stepfather’s gun because he had been constantly harassed and bullied by classmates.
Eighteen year old Tyler Clementi killed himself by jumping from the George Washington Bridge after a roommate outed him by secretly video taping him having sex and posting it on the internet. His last Facebook status read: Jumping off the gw bridge sorry
Nineteen year old Raymond Chase hanged himself in his dorm room
Seventeen year old Felix Sacco jumped to his death from an overpass near his home in Massachusetts.
Harrison Chase Brown of Colorado killed himself.